Breast Augmentation Incision Locations
Serving Detroit, Southfield, Port Huron, Ann Arbor, Dundee and Jackson, Michigan
Prior to your breast augmentation, you will need to decide which incision location you would prefer to be used to insert your breast implants. When choosing an incision location, consider factors such as your lifestyle, the type of breast implant you are using, and personal preference – where would the scar least bother you? The answer will differ for each patient.
Main Breast Implant Incision Options
Dr. Rifai offers three main breast augmentation incision locations:
- Inframammary – This incision is located underneath the curve of your breast, where it can be hidden by the breast fold. It is the location favored by the majority of surgeons.
- Periareolar – This incision is made around the lower portion of your areola (nipple), which allows it to be naturally hidden by the dark skin there.
- Transaxillary – This incision is made through the armpit, and may require the use of an endoscope to help position the breast implants.
There are benefits and drawbacks to each option. For example, the periareolar incision allows for the most precise control over the exact placement of your implants, but it does come with an increased risk of breastfeeding interference and other potential complications. The inframmary incision provides good control over breast symmetry and hides scarring well in most patients. If you do not want any scarring at all on or around your breasts, the transaxillary incision can be ideal; however, if your breasts are naturally uneven, the reduced amount of control over placement can make the transaxillary location less desirable.
Scarring After Breast Augmentation
Even though the incision locations above will hide your scars in most situations, many women are still concerned about the amount of visible scarring that will remain after breast augmentation. At our practice, we take every precaution to ensure that your skin endures the least amount of trauma possible, and heals without any interference.
Although scarring cannot be completely avoided in any surgical procedure, there are steps you can take during the recovery process to ensure your scars fade and flatten out as much as possible over time. The best thing you can do is closely follow all of the post-operative care guidelines that Dr. Rifai gives you. Proper healing is essential to keep scars small, flat, and faint.
If you have further questions about breast augmentation, please contact Birmingham Cosmetic Surgery & Vein Center today or call (248) 723-9370 to schedule your complimentary consultation. We serve patients throughout Detroit, Southfield, Port Huron, and Jackson, Michigan.
Other Procedures and Treatments in this Category:
- Abdominoplasty (Tummy Tuck)
- Abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) vs Liposuction
- All Skincare Products
- Breast Augmentation and Pregnancy
- Breast Augmentation Candidacy
- Breast Augmentation for Older Women
- Breast Augmentation Incision Locations
- Breast Augmentation Options
- Breast Augmentation Recovery Times
- Breast Feeding with Breast Implants
- Breast Implant Placement Methods
- Breast Implant Shape
- Choosing Your Breast Implant Size
- Choosing Your Liposuction Surgeon in Detroit
- Contact Us
- Detroit Cosmetic & Cosmetic Surgery
- Differences Between a Face Lift and a Mini-Face Lift
- Do I Need a Mammogram Prior to Breast Augmentation Surgery?
- Face Lift Candidacy
- Facelift Recovery
- Getting Your Best Boob Job in Detroit
- Good Candidates for Body Contouring
- How the Right Bra Can Keep Your Boob Job Looking Great
- Improving Your Breast Shape
- Increasing Your Breast Volume with Breast Augmentation
- Liposuction Candidacy
- Liposuction Recovery
- Liposuction Risks and Complications
- Liposuction Techniques
- Plastic Surgery vs. Cosmetic Surgery
- Questions About Abdominoplasty
- Questions About Abdominoplasty
- Questions About Breast Augmentation Surgery
- Questions About Liposuction
- Restore Lost Volume with Breast Augmentation
- Rhinoplasty: What to Expect
- Saline Breast Implants
- Shipping & Return Policy
- Silicone Breast Implants
- Southfield Otoplasty (Ear Surgery)
- Taking Care of Your Breast Implants
- Terms and Conditions
- Thank you for contacting us!
- Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty) Recovery
- Tummy Tuck After Pregnancy
- Tummy Tuck Candidacy
- Visualization Techniques for Planning Breast Implant Size
- What to Expect: Breast Augmentation Consultation, Pre-Op, and Recovery
- What to Expect: Tummy Tuck Consultation, Pre-op, Recovery
- Michigan Cosmetic Surgery Blog
- Frequently Asked Cosmetic Surgery Questions
- Detroit Cosmetic Surgeon Reviews
- Detroit Cosmetic Surgery Before and After Galleries
- Breast Surgery Procedures
- Facial Cosmetic Surgery Procedures
- Neck Lift
- Non-Surgical Facial Enhancements
- Med Spa
- IPL PhotoFacial
- Med-Lite Laser Rejuvenation
- Cool Touch III Plus
- Waxing – Professional Hair Removal
- Eyelash Treatments
- Skin Care Products
- Vein Center
- Body Contouring Procedures
- Thank You!
- About Dr. Rifai – Detroit Cosmetic Surgeon
- Monthly Cosmetic Surgery Specials – Michigan
- Consultation Request
- Shop for Advanced Skin Care Products
- Track your order
- My Account