Serving Detroit, Southfield, Port Huron, Ann Arbor, Dundee and Jackson, Michigan
After a facelift, you will need to set aside plenty of downtime to ensure your incisions are given apple opportunity to heal without interference. Most patients are able to go home the day of their facelift procedure, but you will need to return to our office the following morning to have your protective gauze removed. Sutures will be slowly removed in stages over the next 7 to 10 days after your procedure.
How Much Downtime?
The amount of time you will need to take off work will depend on the extent of your facelift procedure. If you had a minimally-invasive facelift, you may be able to return to work in just a few days. However, the average facelift usually requires taking 10 to 14 days off from work and other responsibilities.
Facelift Side Effects: What to Expect
Swelling and bruising are two normal side effects of a facelift. Both problems should gradually diminish over time, but during the first few days, you can help limit bruising and swelling with the use of ice packs or compresses. Most patients have little to no discomfort after their facelift procedure, but if you are bothered by pain, it can be easily controlled with medication.
Swelling after a facelift tends to create a fullness to the face during the first week of recovery. Within the second week, your face should start to look more like you expect, but it can still appear “heavy” around the jawline.
After about a month, your face will take on a more natural shape that truly showcases the rejuvenating results of the facelift. However, it can take up to three months for swelling at the incisions, jawline and neck to fully resolve. The jawline and neck area usually take longer to resolve than the cheeks.
Exercise After a Facelift
Most patients can return to strenuous exercise – including weightlifting and aerobics – about six weeks after their facelift procedure. However, depending on the rate at which you heal, you may be able to return to exercise sooner than this. Dr. Rifai will follow up with you throughout the recovery process to determine when it is safe for you to resume normal levels of physical activity.
If you have further questions about facelift recovery, please contact Birmingham Cosmetic Surgery & Vein Center today or call (248) 723-9370 to schedule your initial consultation. We serve patients throughout Detroit, Southfield, Port Huron, and Jackson, Michigan.
Other Procedures and Treatments in this Category:
- Abdominoplasty (Tummy Tuck)
- Abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) vs Liposuction
- All Skincare Products
- Breast Augmentation and Pregnancy
- Breast Augmentation Candidacy
- Breast Augmentation for Older Women
- Breast Augmentation Incision Locations
- Breast Augmentation Options
- Breast Augmentation Recovery Times
- Breast Feeding with Breast Implants
- Breast Implant Placement Methods
- Breast Implant Shape
- Choosing Your Breast Implant Size
- Choosing Your Liposuction Surgeon in Detroit
- Contact Us
- Detroit Cosmetic & Cosmetic Surgery
- Differences Between a Face Lift and a Mini-Face Lift
- Do I Need a Mammogram Prior to Breast Augmentation Surgery?
- Face Lift Candidacy
- Facelift Recovery
- Getting Your Best Boob Job in Detroit
- Good Candidates for Body Contouring
- How the Right Bra Can Keep Your Boob Job Looking Great
- Improving Your Breast Shape
- Increasing Your Breast Volume with Breast Augmentation
- Liposuction Candidacy
- Liposuction Recovery
- Liposuction Risks and Complications
- Liposuction Techniques
- Plastic Surgery vs. Cosmetic Surgery
- Questions About Abdominoplasty
- Questions About Abdominoplasty
- Questions About Breast Augmentation Surgery
- Questions About Liposuction
- Restore Lost Volume with Breast Augmentation
- Rhinoplasty: What to Expect
- Saline Breast Implants
- Shipping & Return Policy
- Silicone Breast Implants
- Southfield Otoplasty (Ear Surgery)
- Taking Care of Your Breast Implants
- Terms and Conditions
- Thank you for contacting us!
- Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty) Recovery
- Tummy Tuck After Pregnancy
- Tummy Tuck Candidacy
- Visualization Techniques for Planning Breast Implant Size
- What to Expect: Breast Augmentation Consultation, Pre-Op, and Recovery
- What to Expect: Tummy Tuck Consultation, Pre-op, Recovery
- Michigan Cosmetic Surgery Blog
- Frequently Asked Cosmetic Surgery Questions
- Detroit Cosmetic Surgeon Reviews
- Detroit Cosmetic Surgery Before and After Galleries
- Breast Surgery Procedures
- Facial Cosmetic Surgery Procedures
- Neck Lift
- Non-Surgical Facial Enhancements
- Med Spa
- IPL PhotoFacial
- Med-Lite Laser Rejuvenation
- Cool Touch III Plus
- Waxing – Professional Hair Removal
- Eyelash Treatments
- Skin Care Products
- Vein Center
- Body Contouring Procedures
- Thank You!
- About Dr. Rifai – Detroit Cosmetic Surgeon
- Monthly Cosmetic Surgery Specials – Michigan
- Consultation Request
- Shop for Advanced Skin Care Products
- Track your order
- My Account