Questions About Breast Augmentation Surgery
Serving Detroit, Southfield, Port Huron, Ann Arbor, Dundee and Jackson, Michigan
Questions About Breast Augmentation Surgery answered by experienced Detroit cosmetic surgeon – Dr. Rifai
What is the difference between saline and silicone breast implants?
Saline breast implants have a shell of silicone elastomer (feels like plastic) and are filled with a sterile saline solution through a valve present on the surface of the implant.
Silicone breast implants have the same external shell, but are filled with a clear silicone gel.
How do I know which breast implant is right for me?
Either saline or silicone will accomplish the breast augmentation, however, the difference will be in the feel or appearance. Silicone gel implants look and feel more natural than saline implants. The downside of silicone gel implants are:
- Higher cost
- Age restriction (patient must be at least 22 years of age)
- The recommendation from the FDA for structured follow-up exams and alternative screening (Mammograms with MRI’s when the patient starts getting routine screening mammography)
- Recommendation against breastfeeding
How do you determine the appropriate implant size?
Based on the examination of the breasts, height and weight, and the discussion between patient and surgeon, the appropriate size can be agreed upon, generally within a small range. Generally, patients request the largest size that would still look “natural.”
Do I need a mammogram prior to surgery?
You will need a recent mammogram result if you are 40 years of age or older. A mammogram may be obtained at an earlier age in cases with a family history of breast cancer.
How much pain will I have after surgery?
While the degree of discomfort after surgery varies between patients, pain medication and muscle relaxants are prescribed and are very adequate to control any discomfort following the operation. Some patients will make use of all of the pain medications, while others will use Tylenol only or find no need for any medication because their discomfort is minor.
How will my breasts look immediately after surgery?
Swelling will be present, making their size somewhat larger. Additionally, the position of the implants may be higher initially due to muscle spasm – this will correct itself, typically within 3-6 weeks.
How long does breast augmentation surgery take?
Typically, the operation takes about an hour, with 30-45 minutes of recovery time following it.
How long will the breast implants last?
The implants can last a lifetime or fail at any time. Implants do carry a lifetime warranty and will be replaced free of charge by the manufacturer. An extended warranty program also exists that your doctor will discuss with you upon scheduling breast augmentation surgery.
What are the restrictions after surgery?
Any activity that requires a wide separation of the area from the body of involves any strain on the areas and chest muscles. IE: Vacuuming – reaching high, lifting weights (including children), etc.
How soon can I drive and return to work?
Driving is generally possible 3-4 days after surgery, only if you are not using the pain medication or muscle relaxants. Returning to work will depend on the level of physical activity required of you. A desk job can be returned to in less than a week, while a manual job may require 3 weeks or longer.
Contact Our Detroit Cosmetic Surgeon Today
If you have more questions about breast augmentation, please contact Birmingham Cosmetic Surgery & Vein Center today or call (248) 723-9370 to schedule your complimentary consultation. We serve patients throughout Detroit, Southfield, Port Huron, and Jackson, Michigan.
Other Procedures and Treatments in this Category:
- Abdominoplasty (Tummy Tuck)
- Abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) vs Liposuction
- All Skincare Products
- Breast Augmentation and Pregnancy
- Breast Augmentation Candidacy
- Breast Augmentation for Older Women
- Breast Augmentation Incision Locations
- Breast Augmentation Options
- Breast Augmentation Recovery Times
- Breast Feeding with Breast Implants
- Breast Implant Placement Methods
- Breast Implant Shape
- Choosing Your Breast Implant Size
- Choosing Your Liposuction Surgeon in Detroit
- Contact Us
- Detroit Cosmetic & Cosmetic Surgery
- Differences Between a Face Lift and a Mini-Face Lift
- Do I Need a Mammogram Prior to Breast Augmentation Surgery?
- Face Lift Candidacy
- Facelift Recovery
- Getting Your Best Boob Job in Detroit
- Good Candidates for Body Contouring
- How the Right Bra Can Keep Your Boob Job Looking Great
- Improving Your Breast Shape
- Increasing Your Breast Volume with Breast Augmentation
- Liposuction Candidacy
- Liposuction Recovery
- Liposuction Risks and Complications
- Liposuction Techniques
- Plastic Surgery vs. Cosmetic Surgery
- Questions About Abdominoplasty
- Questions About Abdominoplasty
- Questions About Breast Augmentation Surgery
- Questions About Liposuction
- Restore Lost Volume with Breast Augmentation
- Rhinoplasty: What to Expect
- Saline Breast Implants
- Shipping & Return Policy
- Silicone Breast Implants
- Southfield Otoplasty (Ear Surgery)
- Taking Care of Your Breast Implants
- Terms and Conditions
- Thank you for contacting us!
- Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty) Recovery
- Tummy Tuck After Pregnancy
- Tummy Tuck Candidacy
- Visualization Techniques for Planning Breast Implant Size
- What to Expect: Breast Augmentation Consultation, Pre-Op, and Recovery
- What to Expect: Tummy Tuck Consultation, Pre-op, Recovery
- Michigan Cosmetic Surgery Blog
- Frequently Asked Cosmetic Surgery Questions
- Detroit Cosmetic Surgeon Reviews
- Detroit Cosmetic Surgery Before and After Galleries
- Breast Surgery Procedures
- Facial Cosmetic Surgery Procedures
- Neck Lift
- Non-Surgical Facial Enhancements
- Med Spa
- IPL PhotoFacial
- Med-Lite Laser Rejuvenation
- Cool Touch III Plus
- Waxing – Professional Hair Removal
- Eyelash Treatments
- Skin Care Products
- Vein Center
- Body Contouring Procedures
- Thank You!
- About Dr. Rifai – Detroit Cosmetic Surgeon
- Monthly Cosmetic Surgery Specials – Michigan
- Consultation Request
- Shop for Advanced Skin Care Products
- Track your order
- My Account